PostgreSQL portfile outdated

Jyrki Wahlstedt jwa at macports.org
Wed Aug 29 22:36:24 PDT 2007

On 30.8.2007, at 5.42, David Zentgraf wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The portfile for PostgreSQL seems to be outdated. Independently of
> the fact that MacPorts doesn't offer the 8.x branch of Pg, the 7.x
> install sources referenced in the portfile have been moved to a
> different URL. They are now available at ftp://ftp-
> archives.postgresql.org. As a result the port doesn't build/
> download successfully.
> How does one go about fixing this? I have used MacPorts a lot, but
> this is the first time I came across a defective portfile.
>
> Cheers,
> Dav

Yes,
sorry for the inconvenience, but if you look deeper, you see that all
ports with the version number attached, build fine. The reason for
this is the format incompatibility between different versions, e.g.
the format of 8.1 database is different from 8.0 &c. The latest port
is postgresql82 (with two additional ports, ~-doc for documentation
and ~-server for startupitems).
The port postgresql is still there, but it is not maintained (if you
look port info, it says nomaintainer). It will probably be removed in
the future.
PS You can use port search feature to find similar ports, e.g. 'port
search name:postgresql' gives you a list of all ports containing
postgresql.

!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780
6366 EFD9 139C C386