PostgreSQL portfile outdated

Chris Pickel sfiera at macports.org
Wed Aug 29 19:50:22 PDT 2007

On 29 Aug, 2007, at 22:42, David Zentgraf wrote:
> The portfile for PostgreSQL seems to be outdated. Independently of
> the fact that MacPorts doesn't offer the 8.x branch of Pg, the 7.x
> install sources referenced in the portfile have been moved to a
> different URL. They are now available at ftp://ftp-
> archives.postgresql.org. As a result the port doesn't build/
> download successfully.
> How does one go about fixing this? I have used MacPorts a lot, but
> this is the first time I came across a defective portfile.

Probably you're looking for the postgresql82 and postgresql82-server
ports. I don't know enough about postgresql to comment on why the old
versions are still around (much less the default), though.

If they've been moved off of the main FTP server for the project,
then that's probably an indication that they no longer support the
7.x branch, so perhaps we should not either.

Chris