Error running MacPorts

Richard Connamacher rich.n1 at indieimage.com
Thu Aug 30 14:46:44 PDT 2007

I'm having a problem with MacPorts (though for all I know it may be
gcc rather than MacPorts itself). After restoring my system from a
crash, port now can't compile anything.

I've reinstalled MacPorts 1.5, and I've reinstalled XCode 2.4.1 (BSD
Tools). Still no dice.

The error I'm getting is like this:

--------------------

MacG5:~ root# /opt/local/bin/port install jpeg
---> Configuring jpeg
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphic
s_jpeg/work/jpeg-6b" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --enable-
shared --enable-static " returned error 1
Command output: checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 -L/opt/local/lib) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

To get the exact GCC error:

MacG5:~ root# gcc -O2 -L/opt/local/lib
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: no input files

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Richard