Error running MacPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Aug 30 15:23:23 PDT 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 16:46, Richard Connamacher wrote:

> I'm having a problem with MacPorts (though for all I know it may be
> gcc rather than MacPorts itself). After restoring my system from a
> crash, port now can't compile anything.
>
> I've reinstalled MacPorts 1.5, and I've reinstalled XCode 2.4.1
> (BSD Tools). Still no dice.
>
> The error I'm getting is like this:
>
> --------------------
>
> MacG5:~ root# /opt/local/bin/port install jpeg
> ---> Configuring jpeg
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graph
> ics_jpeg/work/jpeg-6b" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --enable-
> shared --enable-static " returned error 1
> Command output: checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 -L/opt/local/lib) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> cannot create executables.

Usually, "C compiler cannot create executables" means you haven't
installed the C compiler, as in, you haven't installed gcc.

What do you mean you reinstalled "XCode 2.4.1 (BSD Tools)"? You
should have installed the BSD Subsystem from the Mac OS X DVD (it's
installed by default when you install Mac OS X), and you should have
installed Xcode 2.4.1 which can be downloaded from http://
developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/

What do you get if you type "which gcc"? It should say "/usr/bin/gcc"

What do you get if you type "gcc --version"? It should mention "4.0.1
(Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367)"

> To get the exact GCC error:
>
> MacG5:~ root# gcc -O2 -L/opt/local/lib
> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: no input files

Well that again makes it look like you have installed gcc 4.0.1
somehow. So I don't know why it's not working for you.

Have you selfupdated MacPorts to 1.5.2? Have you tried installing
other ports? Do they fail with the same error?