Error running MacPorts

Richard Connamacher rich.n1 at indieimage.com
Thu Aug 30 16:06:42 PDT 2007

Ryan,

Thanks for the advice.

Yep, I have GCC 4.0.1 installed. It's at /usr/bin/gcc and --version
gives:

powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc.
build 5367)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There
is NO
PURPOSE.

I did reinstall XCode 1.4.1 (the BSD SDK only) already. It did fix
one error I was having (it wasn't finding gcc at all before), but
that was before I sent the previous email and started getting the "C
compiler can't create executables" message. This current problem's
got me stumped.

> Have you selfupdated MacPorts to 1.5.2? Have you tried installing
> other ports? Do they fail with the same error?

port selfupdate gives me the same exact error: C compiler can't
create executables.

I can only think that something got royally screwed up when I
restored my Mac from a backup, since it used to work before. Maybe
some critical libraries used by GCC were corrupted in the process? I
was planning to hold off until Leopard before I do a full clean
reinstall of the OS, since it's going to take a long time to get
everything back in...

Thanks again,
Rich