libiconv undefined symbols _iconv_canonicalize (was: Re: Building static version of ImageMagick)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Dec 1 12:19:36 PST 2007

On Dec 1, 2007, at 14:12, Andrei Tchijov wrote:

> I already have tried "upgrade glib2" and it did produce static
> libraries!  It did complained a little about libiconv (just in
> case, I have attached all messages at the bottom of this e-mail)

[snip]

> --->  Staging libiconv into destroot

[snip]

> gcc -O2 iconv.o -o iconv  -L/opt/local/lib ../srclib/libicrt.a /opt/
> local/lib/libiconv.dylib
> Undefined symbols:
>   "_iconv_canonicalize", referenced from:
>       _main in iconv.o
>       _main in iconv.o
> ld: symbol(s) not found
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make: *** [install] Error 2

[snip]

I don't think that's related at all to glib2.

This was reported on the list some months ago, and I believe the
solution was to forcibly uninstall libiconv (sudo port -f uninstall
libiconv), clean the work area (sudo port clean --work libiconv),
make sure there were no lingering libiconv items left over (have a
look in /opt/local/lib and remove any iconv items you find), and then
reinstall it (sudo port install libiconv). See the previous thread:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-August/
004954.html