solved: What is MacPort 1.5 trying to pipe the gzip output to?

Jesse Ohlsson ohlssons at skynet.be
Sat Dec 1 12:21:36 PST 2007

Gentlemen,

There was no /Previous System/... folder, so I copied tar from the
install cd /usr/bin directory.  I can now tar things...

g5:~] jess% which tar
/usr/bin/tar
[g5:~] jess% tar
tar: You must specify one of the `-Acdtrux' options
Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.

But, here is the same attempt to install wireshark (or any other port):

[g5:~] jess% sudo port install wireshark
Password:
--->  Extracting expat
Error: Target org.macports.extract returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_textproc_expat/work" && gzip -dc /opt/
local/var/macports/distfiles/expat/expat-2.0.1.tar.gz | -xf - "
returned error 127
Command output: sh: -xf: command not found

gzip: stdout: Broken pipe

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: glib2 gettext expat
libiconv pkgconfig gtk2 atk cairo fontconfig freetype zlib libpng
render xrender jpeg pango Xft2 xorg-xproto xorg-util-macros tiff
libpcap openssl

So, I re-installed Macports and tried again.  This time, tar works and
things install.  Thanks for the help with that.

Jesse