Ghostscript 8.61

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 2 00:29:23 PST 2007

On Dec 1, 2007, at 18:30, Anthony Michael Agelastos wrote:

> I just noticed the following as I updated my installation.
>
> --->  Fetching ghostscript
> --->  Attempting to fetch ghostscript-8.61.tar.gz from http://
> downloads.sourceforge.net/ghostscript
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for ghostscript
> --->  Extracting ghostscript
> --->  Applying patches to ghostscript
> --->  Configuring ghostscript
> --->  Building ghostscript
> --->  Staging ghostscript into destroot
> Warning: ghostscript requests to install files outside the common
> directory structure!
> --->  Deactivating ghostscript 8.60_0
> --->  Installing ghostscript 8.61_0
>
> The following files have been renamed (and should be removed):
>     /private/etc/cups/pstoraster.convs -> /private/etc/cups/
> pstoraster.convs.old
>     /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstopxl -> /usr/libexec/cups/filter/
> pstopxl.old
>     /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstoraster -> /usr/libexec/cups/filter/
> pstoraster.old
>     /usr/share/cups/model/pxlcolor.ppd -> /usr/share/cups/model/
> pxlcolor.ppd.old
>     /usr/share/cups/model/pxlmono.ppd -> /usr/share/cups/model/
> pxlmono.ppd.old
>
> --->  Activating ghostscript 8.61_0
> --->  Cleaning ghostscript
>
> This has prompted me to ask a few questions, which I have
> enumerated below. Thank you for your assistance in helping me
> answer these.
>
> 1) What files has this port installed outside of the common
> directory structure?

You can find out what files it installs by using "port contents
ghostscript". It looks like it's these files:

   /private/etc/cups/pstoraster.convs
   /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstopxl
   /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstoraster
   /usr/share/cups/model/pxlcolor.ppd
   /usr/share/cups/model/pxlmono.ppd

> 2) If I `sudo port uninstall ghostscript`, will it put things back
> to how they were prior to this upgrade (will it fix any of the
> Apple files/programs/directories that the port modified in 1))?

If the port modified any Apple-provided files, then no. But, no port
should be modifying any Apple-provided files. They may merely (as per
the message) be installing new files outside the MacPorts prefix. And
if so, then yes, "port uninstall" will uninstall those files also.

> 3) What does the "no_cups" variant do?

Probably installs ghostscript without support for CUPS (the Common
Unix Printing Solution). "port variants ghostscript" says so. Not
sure what exactly that entails for ghostscript. But it sounds like it
might entail not installing things outside the MacPorts prefix. Which
would be good, especially if you do not plan to use the CUPS features
of ghostscript, whatever those might be. (Perhaps the maintainer can
enlighten us.)