Ghostscript 8.61

Anthony Michael Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 06:59:03 PST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Anthony Michael Agelastos wrote:
> [...]
>>> --->  Extracting ghostscript
>>> --->  Applying patches to ghostscript
>>> --->  Configuring ghostscript
>>> --->  Building ghostscript
>>> --->  Staging ghostscript into destroot
>>> Warning: ghostscript requests to install files outside the common
>>> directory structure!
>>> --->  Deactivating ghostscript 8.60_0
>>> --->  Installing ghostscript 8.61_0
>>>
>>> The following files have been renamed (and should be removed):
>>>   /private/etc/cups/pstoraster.convs -> /private/etc/cups/
>>> pstoraster.convs.old
>>>   /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstopxl -> /usr/libexec/cups/filter/
>>> pstopxl.old
>>>   /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstoraster -> /usr/libexec/cups/filter/
>>> pstoraster.old
>>>   /usr/share/cups/model/pxlcolor.ppd -> /usr/share/cups/model/
>>> pxlcolor.ppd.old
>>>   /usr/share/cups/model/pxlmono.ppd -> /usr/share/cups/model/
>>> pxlmono.ppd.old
>>>
>>> --->  Activating ghostscript 8.61_0
>>> --->  Cleaning ghostscript
>>>
>>> This has prompted me to ask a few questions, which I have
>>> enumerated below. Thank you for your assistance in helping me
>>> answer these.
>>>
>>> 1) What files has this port installed outside of the common
>>> directory structure?
>>
>> You can find out what files it installs by using "port contents
>> ghostscript". It looks like it's these files:

>>> 2) If I `sudo port uninstall ghostscript`, will it put things back
>>> to how they were prior to this upgrade (will it fix any of the
>>> Apple files/programs/directories that the port modified in 1))?
>>
>> If the port modified any Apple-provided files, then no. But, no
>> port should be modifying any Apple-provided files. They may merely
>> (as per the message) be installing new files outside the MacPorts
>> prefix. And if so, then yes, "port uninstall" will uninstall those
>> files also.
>
> I agree with you in that no port should be modifying any Apple-
> provided files, however when I see my message above that renamed 5
> files (the same files shown with `port contents ghostscript`) to $
> {file}.old, it makes me think that the *.old files are the Apple-
> provided ones. And, if this is the case, I want to know about it so
> if I ever `port uninstall ghostscript`, I know what needs to be done.
>

>>> 3) What does the "no_cups" variant do?
>>
>> Probably installs ghostscript without support for CUPS (the Common
>> Unix Printing Solution). "port variants ghostscript" says so. Not
>> sure what exactly that entails for ghostscript. But it sounds like
>> it might entail not installing things outside the MacPorts prefix.
>> Which would be good, especially if you do not plan to use the CUPS
>> features of ghostscript, whatever those might be. (Perhaps the
>> maintainer can enlighten us.)
> I would like further enlightenment on this variant as well. The
> "ghostscript" port was installed as a dependency on my machine. If
> this variant will allow me to install it without modifying any Apple-

After sending my reply, I did some additional digging and realized
that the 5 files above are identical to their their *.old counterparts
(I did a `diff` on 'em) and their paths within point to /opt/local.
The reason these files are the same is that they must have been
installed when I first installed Ghostscript via MacPorts. Then, when
I did an upgrade (as seen above), it essentially made copies of the
files (they didn't change). If the Apple-provided files were there and
were backed up to *.old, then I have lost those files. So, are there
any Leopard users out there who do _not_ have MacPorts' Ghostscript
port installed and would be willing to see if the following files
exist on your machine?

/private/etc/cups/pstoraster.convs
/usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstopxl
/usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstoraster
/usr/share/cups/model/pxlcolor.ppd
/usr/share/cups/model/pxlmono.ppd

If these do exist, could you forward your copies to me (you can use
the command I supplied below that will create an archive on your
Desktop if it will help)? Thank you for your assistance with this.

tar -cpjv --same-owner -f ~/Desktop/filesForAnthony.tar.bz2 /private/
etc/cups/pstoraster.convs /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstopxl /usr/
libexec/cups/filter/pstoraster /usr/share/cups/model/pxlcolor.ppd /usr/
share/cups/model/pxlmono.ppd

Regards,

Anthony