php5 command line

Michael Thon mike.thon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 01:15:46 PST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 8:01 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2007, at 23:49, Michael Thon wrote:
>
>> Greetings - I am running php5 on Mac OS 10.4 Intel.  When I execute
>> a php command line script, php prints the contents of the script on
>> the terminal rather than executing it.  If I run the script with
>> apple's php the script runs fine.  the same script also runs ok on
>> a linux box with php 5.1.  Any ideas whats going on?
>
> No, no idea. I use the php command line from the MacPorts php5 port
> all the time. Never seen this.
>
> So, just to be clear, what happens if you put the following three-
> line script into a file test.php and then run it with both Apple's
> and MacPorts's php?
>

> <?php
> echo "hello php " . PHP_VERSION . "\n";
> ?>
>

> Here's what I get:
>
> $ /usr/bin/php test.php
> hello php 4.4.7
> $ /opt/local/bin/php test.php
> hello php 5.2.5
>

> If that's not what you get, then I'd like to see your php.ini.

If I run your test script it works fine.  looking a little closer at
my student's code I see that the shebang line (or whatever you call it
in php is:
<?
when it should be:
<?php
Interestingly, the <? version works with /usr/bin/php and on the linux
box but not with the macports php5.  I did get the <? script  to run
with this command line:
/opt/local/bin/php -n myscript.php
which I take to mean that there is something in the php.ini file that
is different from the linux and default Mac OS install.
Anyway, my solution is to add <?php to the files.
Thanks
Mike