mysql5 case sensitivity, starting server etc etc

Michael Thon mike.thon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 01:28:59 PST 2007

Hola -

I am having a problem with mysql tables that are created via php
occasionally appearing in mysql with lower case names.  I now have to
solve two problems:

1) how do I restart the sever via the command line?  At the moment it
starts at boot via the launchctl file.  If I issue:

     sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/
org.macports.mysql5.plist

and then the load it again with
     sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/
org.macports.mysql5.plist

and then try to connect to the server with the mysql5 utility, I get
the error:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket.....<snip>
I think, if I reboot the machine (which I can't do right now) it'll
start up the right way.  but how do I start it the right way from the
command line?

2) To fix the case sensitivity problem,  I might need to set the
variable lower_case_table_names=0 in my.cnf.  which I will create in /
opt/local/etc/mysql5 as soon as I figure out how to restart the
server... unless anyone has another suggestion.

cheers
Mike