mysql5 case sensitivity, starting server etc etc

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 5 02:35:50 PST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 03:28, Michael Thon wrote:

> I am having a problem with mysql tables that are created via php
> occasionally appearing in mysql with lower case names.  I now have
> to solve two problems:
>
> 1) how do I restart the sever via the command line?  At the moment
> it starts at boot via the launchctl file.  If I issue:
>
>     sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/
> org.macports.mysql5.plist
>
> and then the load it again with
>     sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/
> org.macports.mysql5.plist
>
> and then try to connect to the server with the mysql5 utility, I
> get the error:
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through
> socket.....<snip>
> I think, if I reboot the machine (which I can't do right now) it'll
> start up the right way.  but how do I start it the right way from
> the command line?

That is the correct way to stop and start the MySQL server. But after
using "launchctl unload" (or stopping the server via any other
means), be sure that all mysqld processes have exited before you try
to start mysqld again using "launchctl load" (or any other means).

> 2) To fix the case sensitivity problem,  I might need to set the
> variable lower_case_table_names=0 in my.cnf.  which I will create
> in /opt/local/etc/mysql5 as soon as I figure out how to restart the
> server... unless anyone has another suggestion.

The correct value for Mac OS X MySQL servers using the default HFS+
filesystem is lower_case_table_names=2. MySQL sets
lower_case_table_names to 2 by default on Mac OS X. What this means
is explained here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/identifier-case-sensitivity.html

My personal recommendation is that the letters in your table and
database names should be limited to lowercase (not any uppercase)
characters, so as to avoid any portability problems.