Building XMMS with OSX Output Plugin

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 5 12:32:30 PST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 08:58, Vlado Plaga wrote:

> has anyone here a working XMMS installation with the native OSX output
> plugin?

Can't help with that problem, but I have some stylistic notes on your
portfile below.

> ESD output does not work acceptably on my G4 iMac: it already starts
> skipping when I just click somewhere in a web browser.
>
> I first used the macports package of xmms and tried to add the OSX
> output plugin. The plugin compiles alright, but xmms does not show
> it in
> the configuration dialogue and outputs the following message on the
> terminal:
>
> dlopen(/opt/local/lib/xmms/Output/libOSX.so, 2): Symbol not found:
> _osx_about
>    Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/xmms/Output/libOSX.so
>    Expected in: flat namespace
>
> Now I tried to manually install XMMS 1.2.11 (released Nov 16), but
> here
> ALL plugins behaved like libOSX did after my attempt of adding it
> to the
> xmms installation from macports (version 1.2.10).
>
> I don't really understand what the person who created the XMMS port
> file
> did, but I cannot even compile the 1.2.10 release. The port apparently
> contains some patches:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/dports/
> audio/xmms/Portfile
>
> I tried to create a port file for the xmms_osx_plugin (see
> attachment),
> and now I can install it with the port command, but the problem
> with the
> error message  given above still remains.
>
> I would really appreciate helpful comments, or if someone with better
> computer skills could even create a working xmms_osx_plugin port!
>
> Regards,
>
> Vlado
>
> P.S.: I had to send this e-mail twice, because my first attempt was
> returned with an information identical to the one that Chris Janton
> commented on on December 4:
>
> Reporting-MTA: dns; lists.macosforge.org
> Arrival-Date: Wed,  5 Dec 2007 06:14:38 -0800 (PST)
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; macports-users at lists.macosforge.org
> Action: failed
> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; Command time limit exceeded:
>     "/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman post macports-users"
> # $Id: Portfile ... 2007-12-03 ... $
>
> PortSystem      1.0
>
> name                    xmms_osx_plugin
> version                 1.0
> categories              audio
> maintainers             vlp
> description             Native OSX output plugin.
> long_description        Native OSX output plugin.
> homepage                http://www.xmms.org/plugins.php?details=229
> platforms               darwin
> master_sites            http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/
> dbmix/xmms_osx_plugin-1.0.tar.gz \
> 			http://mesh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/dbmix/
> xmms_osx_plugin-1.0.tar.gz

master_sites should not include the name of the distfile.

Furthermore, you shouldn't list individual SourceForge mirrors. We
have a mirror group for that. Premusably you can just list
"master_sites sourceforge:dbmix"

> checksums               md5 c35b4f169f10d894d9dd165bd9fcaf97
>
> depends_lib             port:xmms
>
> configure.cflags-append "-I${prefix}/include"

-I${prefix}/include is already in the default CFLAGS.

> configure.args          --prefix=${prefix} \

--prefix=${prefix} is already in the default configure.pre_args.