PHP5, Apache2, Leopard

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Thu Dec 6 06:31:55 PST 2007

On 2007-12-04 , at 19:16 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Leopard's inclusion of Apache 2 changes all that for me. I no
> longer wish to support using Apple's Apache at all. I don't care
> what version it is. I want +apache to use MacPorts's Apache 1.3,
> and +apache2 to use MacPorts's Apache 2.2. This will make things
> much simpler in the portfile, much simpler for users to understand,
> and will be consistent with established guidelines.
>
> If there are any objections, now is the time to voice them.
> Otherwise I'll make these modifications soon.

I would ask you to wait until it is clear that Apache2 will build and
work on Leopard.

I can't build Apache2. I can't build PHP5. I can build MySQL5. Those
are the 3 big ones for me.

Of course I would be quite unhappy on my old 10.3.9 server. That
probably won't get updated to Tiger or Leopard, so at some point I
will probably have to grab the Portfiles and supporting files and put
them into a local tree. I'll have to maintain that set on my own.

Gee - at this point I have to wonder if I should bother with macports
at all. The ease and benefit of using the port system will be gone.
By ease and benefit I mean that I am not subject to Apple changing
out my software and breaking my production system. Now the macports
system will do it for me.

sigh.

8)