PHP5, Apache2, Leopard

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Thu Dec 6 09:46:17 PST 2007

Chris Janton wrote:
> On 2007-12-04 , at 19:16 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Leopard's inclusion of Apache 2 changes all that for me. I no longer
>> wish to support using Apple's Apache at all. I don't care what version
>> it is. I want +apache to use MacPorts's Apache 1.3, and +apache2 to
>> use MacPorts's Apache 2.2. This will make things much simpler in the
>> portfile, much simpler for users to understand, and will be consistent
>> with established guidelines.
>>
>> If there are any objections, now is the time to voice them. Otherwise
>> I'll make these modifications soon.
>

> I would ask you to wait until it is clear that Apache2 will build and
> work on Leopard.
>
> I can't build Apache2. I can't build PHP5. I can build MySQL5. Those are
> the 3 big ones for me.
>
> Of course I would be quite unhappy on my old 10.3.9 server. That
> probably won't get updated to Tiger or Leopard, so at some point I will
> probably have to grab the Portfiles and supporting files and put them
> into a local tree. I'll have to maintain that set on my own.
>
> Gee - at this point I have to wonder if I should bother with macports at
> all. The ease and benefit of using the port system will be gone.
> By ease and benefit I mean that I am not subject to Apple changing out
> my software and breaking my production system. Now the macports system
> will do it for me.

Well, except for ssl support in Apache2 it's possible to get everything
to work :-)

http://blog.phpdoc.info/archives/83-php-5.2.5-on-Leopard.html
and I'm following along somewhat the same lines using macports to get
the necessary libraries etc for php _BUT_ installing Apache, MySQL and
PHP outside the macports framework.

If you are interested, I can send you my development environment.

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa