Oracle support in PHP?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 10 14:54:56 PST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 16:42, John Korchok wrote:

> I had no errors or other problems installing the "oracle-
> instantclient" port
> or the "php5 +oracle" port. Thanks Ryan!

Oh good!

> I am assuming I still need to modify php.ini to point at oci8.so,
> but I
> can't find it (oci8.o is there). I did find the libraries under lib/
> oracle.

Nope, nothing needs to be done in that regard. There is no oci8.so or
any other separate file. The oci8 functions have simply been compiled
into php and libphp5.so.

> http://www.php.net/oci8 is just baffling. It reads like a pile of
> potentially useful but untested information. Using the Instant
> Client (as
> they recommend) does not create an oracle user or group, as far as
> I can
> tell.

I didn't program any user or group creation into the oracle-
instantclient portfile, no. Should I have? What would that user/group
be used for?

The page is certainly Greek to me, since I haven't used Oracle.