Oracle support in PHP?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Dec 11 20:30:41 PST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007, at 22:11, John Korchok wrote:

>> On Dec 10, 2007, at 16:42, John Korchok wrote:
>>
>>> I had no errors or other problems installing the "oracle-
>>> instantclient" port or the "php5 +oracle" port. Thanks Ryan!
>>
>> Oh good!
>>

>>> I am assuming I still need to modify php.ini to point at oci8.so,
>>> but
>>> I can't find it (oci8.o is there). I did find the libraries under
>>> lib/
>>> oracle.
>>
>> Nope, nothing needs to be done in that regard. There is no
>> oci8.so or any other separate file. The oci8 functions have
>> simply been compiled into php and libphp5.so.
>>

>>> http://www.php.net/oci8 is just baffling. It reads like a pile of
>>> potentially useful but untested information. Using the Instant
>>> Client
>>> (as they recommend) does not create an oracle user or group, as
>>> far as
>>> I can tell.
>>
>> I didn't program any user or group creation into the oracle-
>> instantclient portfile, no. Should I have? What would that
>> user/group be used for?
>>
>> The page is certainly Greek to me, since I haven't used Oracle.
>
> When I run phpinfo, the last configure command is:
> '--with-oci8=instantclient,/opt/local/lib/oracle'
>
> At http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/notes/
> technote_php_instant.html,
> under the heading "Enabling the PHP OCI8 Extension on Linux " they
> suggest a
> syntax like:
> '--with-oci8-instant-client=/opt/local/lib/oracle'

As far as I can tell, the option was --with-oci8-instant-client=/path/
to/instantclient in earlier php versions (maybe php 5.1.1 and
earlier), and is --with-oci8=instantclient,/path/to/instantclient now
(maybe since php 5.1.2). This is mentioned in a note from wes9999 on
http://www.php.net/oci8 and I say "maybe" for the versions because
the Oracle page you cite does say it has been updated for php 5.1.2
so I don't know. But since they haven't managed to put out an Intel
version in two years, and advocate using the problematic
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to get their libraries to work, I don't
trust Oracle very much.

> Phpinfo has an oci8 section further, and it looks like it is getting
> installed.

I would expect so. So have you had any luck connecting with the
Oracle server or are you running into other problems?