Migrating MacPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 16 04:01:57 PST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007, at 04:57, Marc André Selig wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2007 6:12 AM, Jay Chandler wrote:
>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can store /opt with perms on another
>> machine, redo this box, install MacPorts, and move /opt back, and
>> everything should theoretically work, correct?
>
> No.  MacPorts itself and quite a number of ports install things
> outside /opt.  You will have to move these as well, but getting them
> all together will be painful.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/wiki/
> FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts
> has an (incomplete) list of those locations outside /opt.

We should complete the list if it's incomplete. What's missing?

To get MacPorts itself and most ports, you should back up /opt/local
and /Library/Tcl/macports1.0. Some ports may install in other places,
like /Applications/MacPorts or /Library/LaunchDaemons or even other
places. "port contents foo" will show you where a given port foo
installs its files, so ideally you should check "port contents" for
each installed port and back up each of those.