Migrating MacPorts

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sun Dec 16 10:20:55 PST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> To get MacPorts itself and most ports, you should back up /opt/local
> and /Library/Tcl/macports1.0. Some ports may install in other
> places, like /Applications/MacPorts or /Library/LaunchDaemons or
> even other places. "port contents foo" will show you where a given
> port foo installs its files, so ideally you should check "port
> contents" for each installed port and back up each of those.

As an alternative ... if you're using image mode (the default) there
will be (hard-linked) copies of everything inside of /opt/local/var/
macports/software

So, you could deactivate all of your installed ports, copy over /opt/
local, and then activate all the ports you want. This should put back
any files in /opt/local or elsewhere that were installed by MacPorts.

If you're using archive mode (with or without image mode), you could
just copy the archives of the ports you want to keep, put them back in
the right place, and have port install from them (as it won't have to
download source and build the ports in order to install them).

--
Daniel J. Luke