gmime no longer builds on leopard

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Fri Dec 14 06:20:33 PST 2007

Hi Michael,

Sorry to take so long to reply to this; unfortunately I don't
currently find the time to read macports-users much, so I miss posts
that I really should reply to.

> A few days ago I installed pan2 and all its dependencies.  I'm
> having problems trying to compile wine so I deleted /opt/local and
> reinstalled macports.  Now, gmime won't build.  I get the following
> error:

<snip />

> ld: warning, duplicate dylib /opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib
> ld: duplicate symbol _g_bit_nth_lsf in .libs/gmime-charset.o
> and .libs/gmime.o
>
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Since you say that it fails on Leopard, and since I don't get this
problem on 10.4.11, it looks to me like it's a bug with Leopard's
linker (the ld program).  If others can help me confirm that it does
indeed occur on Leopard but not on Tiger or Panther, then it'd be
great if you could report it upstream to the developer of gmime.

It may well be, however, that he won't change the upstream source,
arguing that it's a bug with Leopard's linker and so not his problem
(a view which I can sympathise with, though I wouldn't agree with
it).  If that's the case, I think I'd be able to implement a patch by
myself; it wouldn't be elegant, but there wouldn't be any
significantly better ways around it either.

So, others can let me know whether or not they can reproduce the
error, that'd be great.  We can then look at whether or not to report
this upstream.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--