MacPorts 1.6 still supports OS X 10.3 Panther?

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Wed Dec 19 20:05:40 PST 2007

Hi Ryan and js,

> MacPorts 1.6 should still support Panther. I believe someone will be
> making a disk image soon. I don't know why the compile is failing for
> you.

Juan and I are working on the disk image.  js, I got the same error as you
did  when attempting to build MacPorts 1.6 on Panther, and a fix is in the
pipeline.  (For anybody whose interested in the technical details, the
problem is described below [1].)

We're hoping it'll be ready in the next 24 hours, as we know what we need
to fix; the only issue to find a sufficiently elegant way to do it so that
it doesn't surface in future.

Given this delay in getting it to work for 10.3, do either of you (or
anybody else!) think we should post an announcement somewhere, and if so,
where?  In future, of course, I think we need to tighten up our release
engineering process so this doesn't happen again; I'll talk to Juan about
it when I catch him next.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

[1] The problem is the sqlite3.h header file is not found when compiling
src/cregistry/registry.c.  This problem doesn't surface on Tiger or later,
because it /usr/include/sqlite3.h is found (the include flags are
currently "-I.. -I. -I/usr/include"), but this file doesn't exist on
Panther.  Since we go on to link against a static library built from the
included sqlite-3.1.3 source, we should really include
src/sqlite-3.1.3/sqlite3.h on all platforms.  I don't know if we'd face
any problems with upgrading to the latest stable sqlite3 in our source
distribution.

--
Boey Maun Suang
Email: boeyms at macports.org