general dependency questions

Brian Barnes bcbarnes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:35:33 PST 2007

Hello,

I'm new to macports and experimenting with it.  To that end, I was
wondering if there is a simple way to list all dependencies
recursively in macports.  For example, the standard 'macports deps
foo' command does not list the deps of the deps.  I found a perl
script that does something similar in nature here:  http://
lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-April/002481.html

But, I mean, who wants to run perl scripts instead of a port
command?  :)

Also, the portfile for grace has the following dependency line:
depends_lib             lib:libX11.6:XFree86 \

X11 for Leopard provide X11R7 (instead of 6) and is based on xorg,
not XFree86.  But, I know that macports grace works in Leopard.  So
I'm wondering, how exactly is that line parsed?  How badly malformed
would it have to be, before macports tries to compile XFree86 itself
or just refuses to install?

thanks for reading,

Brian