openssh +hpn variant builds fail

David L Ballenger dlb at davidlballenger.com
Fri Dec 28 10:42:53 PST 2007

On Dec 28, 2007, at 4:43 AM, Adam Mercer wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2007 10:25 PM, David L Ballenger
> <dlb at davidlballenger.com> wrote:
>
>> I successfully applied to that patch to a local copy of the Portfile
>> but still got the same errors.  I then commented out the
>> "patch.pre_args -p1" command/option in the hpn variant. That allowed
>> some patches specified by patch-pwdup.diff to be applied but not
>> those
>> specified in  of the /openssh-4.7p1-hpn12v18.diff.gz patch file or
>> the /openssh-4.7p1-hpn12v19.diff.gz patch file.  Finally I went back
>> to the Portfile and instead of commenting out "patch.pre_args -p1"
>> command/option in the hpn variant, I removed the "-p1".  This seems
>> be working, all patches apply and the installed ssh with hpn support
>> seems to be working.
>
> I think that removing the -p1 from the patch.pre_args will cause the
> patch not the be applied, looking at the debug output of the install
> seems to confirm this.

Adam,

Sorry, for the confusion, but the debug output was from before I
started attempting to fix things, i.e. the patch.pre_args still
specified -p1 and was not commented out. Guess I should have put the
debug output earlier in the message.

>> Was there a change to patch in Leopard? Last time I did an OpenSSH
>> install on Tiger, back in Oct it ran fine.  Haven't had a chance to
>> try it again on Tiger to see if I get the same problem.
>
> the patch-pwdup.diff is applied on Leopard to fix the "percent_expand:
> NULL replacement" error you get when the identify file isn't
> specified, this is the current upstream proposed fix which
> unfortunately conflicts with the high-performance patch. So at the
> moment, the hpn variant won't work on Leopard. I'll see if get the two
> patches playing nicely together.

Changing the patch.pre_args to be empty seems to let both patches be
applied and the install work with no errors.  Running /opt/local/bin/
ssh -V gives:

OpenSSH_4.7p1-hpn12v19, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007

If I run the install with the -k option to keep the sources it looks
like the patch-pwdup.diff and HPN changes were applied  to the source
files.

Thanks - David