Leopard status

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Dec 29 12:04:57 PST 2007

On Dec 29, 2007, at 08:28, Rob MacLeod wrote:

> OK, I found the Leopard patch, managed to install the patch
> (instructions on this process could use some expansion and
> updating), and the build seemed to work:

Which patch are you talking about? Is it attached to a ticket? Which
ticket?

> [airfriday:~]$ sudo port -v install emacs
> --->  Installing emacs 22.1_1
> --->  Activating emacs 22.1_1
> --->  Cleaning emacs
> --->  Removing build directory for emacs
>
> However, the emacs binary did not end up in the /opt/local/bin,
> even though it does exist in
> /opt/local/var/macports/software/emacs/22.1_1/usr/local/bin

Apparently it has ended up in /usr/local/bin instead of /opt/local/
bin. Assuming your MacPorts prefix is /opt/local as per usual, this
is an error. Without knowing what patch you're talking about, I don't
know yet whether this is a fault in the patch or an unrelated issue.

> Is there some final magic I need to do in order to get things in
> their rightful place.  Obviously, I can copy manually but I assumed
> the install script should take care of this sort of detail?

Yes, MacPorts should take care of installing things in the right
place for you. If it does not, it is a bug.

> On another note, if there has been a patch available for emacs for
> a month now, why is it not part of the current install? I mean, why
> should it still be necessary to apply the patch this long after it
> is in place?

Presumably because the maintainer of the emacs port has not gotten
around to testing the patch. Our policy is that if a maintainer does
not react to an issue within 72 hours, any other committer may do so.
I myself would not feel completely comfortable committing any Leopard
emacs bugfixes, since I don't have Leopard and I don't use emacs. But
hopefully someone else here meets at least one of those criteria. If
you'll tell us which ticket it is, hopefully someone will have a look.