recommended "dependencies?"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 12 22:00:14 PST 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 11:33, Mike Roberts wrote:

> i think it's an excellent idea. though, i think that there should be a
> default signature if none is specified, so that there's no
> ambiguity in
> variant signatures. i suppose the result is that there would be no
> variant-less ports. i think this is a good thing though; i think
> gentoo
> would be better if its use flags were encoded into the port signature.

I don't understand this idea. Some ports don't have variants and
don't need any. Say, the readline port. It has no variants. It
depends on no other packages. Its configure line features no --with-
foo or --enable-foo flags. What meaningful variants would you suggest
adding to this port, for example?