gcc 3.3 fails to build: "cannot exec `cc1'"

Gregory Wright gwright at antiope.com
Wed Feb 14 20:42:00 PST 2007

Hi Michael,

On Feb 14, 2007, at 5:25 PM, Michael Williams wrote:

> The gcc33 port fails to build on my machine:
>
> <snip>

> I need access to 3.3 to build and test a generic (but old) scientific
> simulation code, which is why I'm trying to install it using
> MacPorts. I
> would welcome any advice. Should XCode 2.4.1 on Intel be able to
> provide
> me with a working gcc < 4.0? Failing that, how can I build gcc 3.3
> using
> MacPorts without gcc 3.3?

There is no supported way to do this, and the gcc33 port should fail
with
a more informative error if you try to do this on an Intel mac.  The
problem
is not really macports, but that

1) Building an earlier compiler with a later one is not a supported
configuration
with gcc (so problems reported to them will not be treated as bugs), and

2) When the gcc3.3 series was developed there were no OS X/intel
machines
to test it on, and no one has invested the substantial effort to
backport
gcc3.3 to OS X/intel.

Xcode on OS X/intel provides only gcc 4.0 (or later) for compiling
native
binaries.  It does ship with a "gcc33" but that is a cross compiler
for generating
ppc binaries only.

The best use of your time is probably to update your code to compile
under
the gcc 4.0.x compiler that comes with your installed Xcode.

Best Wishes,
Greg