gcc 3.3 fails to build: "cannot exec `cc1'"

Michael Williams williams at astro.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 15 03:50:31 PST 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 11:42:00PM -0500, Gregory Wright wrote:
> There is no supported way to do this, and the gcc33 port should fail
> with a more informative error if you try to do this on an Intel mac.
> The  problem is not really macports, but that
>
> 1) Building an earlier compiler with a later one is not a supported
> configuration with gcc (so problems reported to them will not be
> treated as bugs), and
>
> 2) When the gcc3.3 series was developed there were no OS X/intel
> machines to test it on, and no one has invested the substantial effort
> to  backport gcc3.3 to OS X/intel.
>
> Xcode on OS X/intel provides only gcc 4.0 (or later) for compiling
> native binaries.  It does ship with a "gcc33" but that is a cross
> compiler  for generating ppc binaries only.

Thanks. So I can build using gcc-3.3 with, e.g. "gcc-3.3 -o test test.c
-arch ppc", and "./test" will run under Rosetta. As you say, this is far
from optimal, and the best use of my time is probably to bite the bullet
and migrate to 4.0.

However, I may have a play with a vanilla gcc-3.3.tar.gz and see if I
can get it to build. Since all I need is something that can build POSIX
code (I don't need any of the fancy Darwin ABI stuff), this _should_ be
possible.

Thanks for your help,

-- Mike