--pretend & --fetch-all options

Christian Voelker C.Voelker at gmx.net
Tue Feb 20 03:33:42 PST 2007

Hello Kevin,

Am 19.02.2007 um 20:25 schrieb Kevin Ballard:

> Well, you can do a `sudo port fetch port1 port2 port3 port4`
> whenever you want, to pre-fetch. As long as the portfile doesn't
> get updated since then, you should be able to build anytime later
> and it will use the fetched distfiles.
>
> On Feb 17, 2007, at 12:31 PM, Christian Voelker wrote:
>
>> The prefetching would make sense as well, e.g. in a
>> case where you are offline for a while but able to
>> build during that period.

I love computers for that they do the stupid stuff for
me better than I could do myself. Of course, I under-
stand that I should not update portfiles between
fetching and building, but I am almost sure that I
would not get it right to prefetch sources manually
for lets say tomcat5. As far as I understand, you are
not done when asking "port deps tomcat5" and copying
the dependencies list. I bet I would forget to get me
the sources of e.g. jakarta-bcel which is not listed
for tomcat5 but which is used by mx4j that in turn is
a dependency of tomcat5. Probably my build would fail
shortly because of such a stupid thing that I might
have overseen, just because I am human. And it is
tedious, to check this manually.

That said, it still remains second to the first idea
of mel who started this thread, to implement a dry
run feature. Maybe, dry run would just be half of
the implementation of prefetch.

Bye, Christian