Apple's X11 Update?

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 04:41:08 PST 2007

Hello all,

I was on a leave of absence for a few months and when I came back I noticed
that, in Software Update on our Mac at our office which has Darwin (and now
Mac) Ports installed suggested that there is a new X11 update from Apple
that among other things fixes fonts. I have the previous X11 User and SDK
packages installed on our machines but have instead used XFree86 via Darwin
(and now MacPorts) just fine.

Is there any reason to install Apple's update? Is it recommended by the
MacPorts community?

Possibly related (though maybe not), while I was gone, someone in our office
upgraded the same Mac to 10.4.8 (but they did not install the new X11
package as suggested by Software Update). I have now noticed that after
launching XDarwin (e.g. "startx") successfully, if I try to next run
OpenOffice 2 I am now unable to and I am seeing this error:

----------------------------

$ ./soffice
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/libicuuc.dylib.26
    Referenced from:
/Volumes/ports/Applications/OpenOffice.org2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org2.0/program
    Reason: image not found
soffice: line 233: 21134 Trace/BPT trap       "$sd_prog/$sd_binary"  "$@"

I don't recall having this error before I left for my leave of absence and
I'm wondering if it is at all related to a 10.4.8 update and possibly
requires the new Apple X11 update even though I'm using XFree86?

Thank you for any suggestions!

TM