Insall MacPorts of different drive

Post Max postmax at doramail.com
Tue Feb 20 12:54:18 PST 2007

I think this issue has been broached before, but as it is still ongoing, I'd like to raise it up again.  I'd like to install MacPorts on a different drive other than my boot-up drive.  The current version of DarwinPorts-1.3.1 lets me select the disk to install on, but does not run properly after installation.

Can this be fixed in the next release?  Actually, I was hoping that MacPorts would be even more location-independent.  I would like to install MacPorts on a network drive under Mac OSX Server which shares its available ports and libraries with client OSX machines on the network. I'm not sure how much effort or re-organization of the files involved, but is this a feature that others would find worthwhile as well?

Max