Insall MacPorts of different drive

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Feb 20 13:03:11 PST 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 3:54 PM, Post Max wrote:
> I think this issue has been broached before, but as it is still
> ongoing, I'd like to raise it up again.  I'd like to install
> MacPorts on a different drive other than my boot-up drive.  The
> current version of DarwinPorts-1.3.1 lets me select the disk to
> install on, but does not run properly after installation.

If you build/install from source, you should be able to get a working
macports install wherever you want it.

> Can this be fixed in the next release?  Actually, I was hoping that
> MacPorts would be even more location-independent.  I would like to
> install MacPorts on a network drive under Mac OSX Server which
> shares its available ports and libraries with client OSX machines
> on the network. I'm not sure how much effort or re-organization of
> the files involved, but is this a feature that others would find
> worthwhile as well?

Our installer should probably limit installation to the boot drive so
that things 'just work' (while alternative install locations are
supported/available with the source install).

--
Daniel J. Luke