Universal Binaries

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at brierdr.com
Fri Feb 23 09:43:25 PST 2007

There is a corollary to this, which is even if you do bundle up the
appropriate MacPorts bits, you're now polluting a namespace that's
not really under your control.  A commercial company who shall remain
nameless found this out to their displeasure when they shipped
software which installed (and relied upon) something in /sw/lib/...
(they used Fink, obviously).   Unfortunately, the version they
shipped in /sw had been customized in some way (if memory serves me
correctly) and many Fink installations ended up installing their own
version over it and blowing the commercial software up without even
knowing why.   The commercial company had to ship an update which
removed the dependency and I don't know how much that cost them in
terms of engineering time and dollars, but I'm sure they regretted
doing it in the first place.

- Joradn