Universal Binaries

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at brierdr.com
Fri Feb 23 17:37:52 PST 2007

On Feb 23, 2007, at 5:21 PM, Altoine Barker wrote:

> Jordan, I did not intend for it to be viewed as a optional frill, but
> more an option in the sense that the "no-option choice is for the
> single
> user" and the "optional" choice is for people with either both
> architectures or developers of products for both architectures. Maybe
> the /opt/local/universal is a stretch [ .... ]

Well, the beauty(?) of Universal binaries is that there doesn't need
to be any special place for them to go - you just install them where
you always installed them and everything Just Works™.   If it's not
transparent to the user, there's really not much point.

Your other concerns seem to largely revolve around disk space and
having enough room for your wedding videos.  I guess I'm curious to
know how much extra space you're thinking these universal binaries
will take?  Don't forget, you're not replicating all the Resource
directories or the Data and symbol table sections of all these Mach-O
binaries, simply the text sections.

I also don't expect any of what I'm suggesting to affect the storage
of your external drive, where your wedding videos are, unless you're
going out of your way to put /opt/local on that firewire/USB drive as
well, in which case I still suspect that the relative size increase
would be dwarfed by even the smallest, shortest wedding video in
history ("You want him?  ``Yes.''  You want her?  ``Yowza!''.  Good,
done, we're outta here - these tuxes were rented by the hour, people,
so let's MOVE!   Reception is at the Taco Bell drive-through after
everyone gets changed!"  <video ends>)

- Jordan