XFree86 / XDarwin and change of hostname

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 16:53:24 PST 2007

On 2/23/07, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2007, at 1:15 AM, Tabitha McNerney wrote:
> > Today I needed to change the hostname of a Mac (running 10.4.8)
> > which has previously been installed with numerous MacPorts
> > including XDarwin via XFree86.
> >
> > After changing the hostname and then running:
>
> how did you change the hostname?

Actually, Daniel, I didn't directly change the hostname, but I did change
the Computer Name which indirectly modified the hostname. I very recently
discovered a spelling error that was made quite a while ago (when numerous
MacPorts were built, configured and installed), so I changed the Computer
Name (in the Sharing Preferences panel via System Preferences). After
changing the Computer Name, I then had a problem connecting to the X server.

Did you reboot after you changed it?

No, I did not rebooted. Is rebooting required, such that X be able to handle
the new indirectly-changed hostname?

What should one do if, say, a spelling error in the Computer Name (and
therefore in the hostname) has been discovered after numerous MacPorts have
been built (including ports such as X)? How many other ports, I wonder, are
built and configured by incorporating the Computer Name and/or indirectly
the hostname, which is subject to change?

TM