port mysteries

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Sun Feb 25 07:37:12 PST 2007

On Feb 25, 2007, at 5:29 AM, Kevin Horton wrote:

> I'm a new MacPorts user, trying to make some sense of it all.  A
> couple of things have me baffled:
>
> 1. Why does the output of "port list installed" show some duplication:
>
> % port list installed
> db44                           @4.4.20         databases/db44
> db44                           @4.4.20         databases/db44

Kevin,

I can attempt to explain what is happening here.

The "list" action to port simply "lists" the latest available version
of the specified port or ports. The "installed" pseudo-port returns a
set of the ports that are installed. So in this case the installed
pseudo-port is returning two distinct versions of db44, each of which
is being passed to "list" which shows you the latest version of that
port.

For what you're doing, you'll get greater joy from the following
command:

	port echo installed

This will show you more directly the results from the installed
pseudo-port, including, I believe, the versions of what is installed.
This output should be roughly equivalent to the action "port
installed" (though port echo installed doesn't tell you which version
is active).

James
(department of port mysteries)