emacs install breaking

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Feb 27 09:34:57 PST 2007

On Feb 27, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Rob MacLeod wrote:
> Does that help localize the problem?

In the file you attached:

DEBUG: activating file: /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el
DEBUG: hardlinking /opt/local/var/db/dports/software/emacs/21.4a_1
+darwin_8/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el to /opt/local/
share/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el failed, symlinking instead
DEBUG: Activation failed, rolling back.

and then later:

DEBUG: deactivating file: /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el
DEBUG: /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp is not empty

I would do something like this (assuming you haven't put anything
into the site-lisp directory that you want to save, I'm not an emacs
user, so I'm not sure what gets put there):

sudo port -f uninstall emacs
rm -Rf /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
sudo port -dv install emacs

--