emacs install breaking

Rob MacLeod macleod at cvrti.utah.edu
Tue Feb 27 09:53:52 PST 2007

Thanks Daniel!  This fixed the installation problem.

Now to the problem that induced me to try a reinstall in the first
place.

When I launch emacs, it does not generate a new X window but rather
comes up in the xterm from which I launch it.  Other X applications
(xeyes, xcalc) seem to work fine so I don't suspect my X11
installation or environment settings.  I have not seen this problem
in years and always tracked it before to DISPLAY settings.  This time
I am stumped.

I know a lot of people have moved to Aqua or Carbon versions of emacs
and I am playing with those while I struggle.  But I would like to
have the option of a native X version.

The error that might be the problem is one that I get in the Messages
window after launching emacs:

	Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/local/share/emacs/21.4/leim' does not
exist.

This directory is, indeed, missing.    I don't know a whole lot about
it but could the files in this directory have something to do with X
window support:?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Cheers,
Rob

On Feb 27, 2007, at 10:34 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Rob MacLeod wrote:
>> Does that help localize the problem?
>
> In the file you attached:
>
> DEBUG: activating file: /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el
> DEBUG: hardlinking /opt/local/var/db/dports/software/emacs/21.4a_1
> +darwin_8/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el to /opt/local/
> share/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el failed, symlinking instead
> DEBUG: Activation failed, rolling back.
>
> and then later:
>
> DEBUG: deactivating file: /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el
> DEBUG: /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp is not empty
>
> I would do something like this (assuming you haven't put anything
> into the site-lisp directory that you want to save, I'm not an
> emacs user, so I'm not sure what gets put there):
>
> sudo port -f uninstall emacs
> rm -Rf /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
> sudo port -dv install emacs
>
> --
> Daniel J. Luke
> +========================================================+
> | *---------------- dluke at geeklair.net ----------------* |
> | *-------------- http://www.geeklair.net -------------* |
> +========================================================+
> |   Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily   |
> |          reflect the opinions of my employer.          |

Rob MacLeod, Ph.D.
University of Utah
Dept. of Bioengineering, CVRTI, and SCI (www.sci.utah.edu)
95 South 2000 East Room 207
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112-5000                 ____  __o
Internet:  macleod at cvrti.utah.edu              ____   -\<,
Phonemail: (801)587-9511                         ....0/ 0
Fax:       (801)581-3128
Nora Eccles Harrison Cardiovascular Research and Training Institute