macports-users Digest, Vol 6, Issue 48

M. White mwhite15 at woh.rr.com
Tue Feb 27 18:28:29 PST 2007

Hi Rob,

   You can sometimes run into screwy things when you try to update a
package installed from another source.  For instance, I installed
octave 2.1.73 as a binary from hpc.sourceforge last year with no
problems (it did not work completely, but it was okay).  This was
installed in /usr/local.  I then installed octave 2.9.9 from
hpc.sourceforge and had problems with the functionality.  Then I
tried to use the darwin ports of octave.  This did cause me
problems.  I had to remove the octave-2.9.9 directories from /usr/
local and had to rename /usr/local/include/readline.  The port of
octave-2.9.9 would find readline.h directory under /usr/local/include/
readline and therefore not create its own readline directory under /
opt/local/include.  The problem was that the header had changed.  I
found this out in old posts install errors dealing with "readline".
Apparently, when the port is run, it will sometimes go looking for
things in your path, and if it finds it anywhere, it can cause
problems if it is not fully updated. While I have not tried
installing anything from fink, it is possible that something similar
is happening.  You can always use "-vdt" on your ports to get more
error reporting.

Try the commands:
    ls -l /opt/local/bin
    which emacs
and if you absolutely have to:
    locate emacs

one of these might point to why you seem to have problems with the
uninstall.

However, you should be aware that even if you install this again, I
think you may only get a command line editor.  When I ran configure,
with the flags, it said it was checking for X, which it did not find,
and then checked for /usr/X386 (Xfree86), which it also did not find
(since X is under /usr/X11R6, as I recall).  So, it said that it
configured emacs but without any windowing capability in the
configure report (which you get with the above flags).  I also found
the following online from:
     http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-changes/2006-
October/000742.html
"emacs 662
  variants {darwin_8 darwin_7} description {The GNU Emacs text editor
(command line only)}"

There are actually a couple of emacs ports.  Try:
    port list  | grep -i emacs
and you will find 5 of them (emacs-app, emacs, emacs-devel, xemacs
and emacs-w3m).  You can then do:
    port variants emacs-devel
and
    port info emacs-devel
this one has a carbon and x11 variants.  emacs-app, is Coca based on
Mac OS-X.  One of these might actually be the one you want.

Hopefully one of these will work.

   - M.