macports-users Digest, Vol 6, Issue 51

M. White mwhite15 at woh.rr.com
Tue Feb 27 19:51:33 PST 2007

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:38:40 -0700
> From: Rob MacLeod <macleod at cvrti.utah.edu>
> Subject: Re: macports-users Digest, Vol 6, Issue 48
> To: "M. White" <mwhite15 at woh.rr.com>
> Cc: macports-users at lists.macosforge.org
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for this advice, all of which was, indeed, relevant.  I am in
> the process of phasing out of fink and into MacPorts and there have
> been some glitches because of the same software living in two places.
>
> I think I have most things working and am only fighting now with an
> application we developed locally that depends on some gtk libraries I
> have from MacPorts (and had from fink).
>
> But emacs is at least working!
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

If you used the standard fink install location (/sw I think it is),
you might try renaming the entire directory - then it at least won't
be in your path and any links into it would show errors (you can
always rename it back later).  You might want to put /opt/local/bin
first in your path (or at least after /bin and /sbin).  Also,
according to a post about darwinports and fink living together, the
former will (or used to - post dates to 2003) sometimes put X-related
applications in the X11 tree and not its own, which can (or used to)
confuse fink (but I think this means that the fink installer might
get confused, not necessarily the apps).

Finally, if you are having problems with gtk, you may be able to get
help from:
     http://developer.imendio.com/projects/gtk-macosx
as well (and there is a nice report on porting the project to run on
OS X natively [there is a quartz variant of gtk+, which I'm guessing
is the one you probably ported.])

  - M.