crosscompiling macports, how hard is it?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jan 2 08:08:41 PST 2007

On 2 Jan, 2007, at 16:52, Pau Arumi wrote:

> hi all,
> nowadays is very common that osx software is distributed as
> universal binaries, so i'm quite sure somebody have tried to
> crosscompile (intel+powerpc) some macports libraries.
> i'd need to do that for a handful of libraries, so, before starting
> my experiments i'd like to hear some previous experiences.
>
> do you think its worth trying it? or is definitely better to use
> two (intel and powerpc) boxes to produce binaries and then combine
> them with lipo? [1]

It depends :-). Some software, and possibly the majority of software,
compiles without problems using '-arch i386 -arch ppc'. Software that
does configure-time checks for byteorder will cause problems unless
the build environment knows about universal binaries (Python is an
example of that, python 2.4.4 and 2.5 build as universal binaries
even though the configure script checks for the byteorder of the host
machine).

Ronald