crosscompiling macports, how hard is it?

Kevin Ballard eridius at macports.org
Tue Jan 2 14:08:11 PST 2007

If you're going to distribute software, you don't want to build it
with macports (because all the linker paths will be absolute and
pointing at /opt/local, which is not how you want to distribute
anything). Because of this, I don't think crosscompiling is an issue,
since when building just for yourself, you don't need the other
architecture.

As a note, I once downloaded a program which had just released a new
version that used openjade for HTML validation. It didn't work. Why?
Because the author had built openjade using MacPorts and bundled it
that way. It worked fine on his system, but on anybody else's system
it was looking for libraries in /opt/local/lib that simply weren't
there. Beware distribution of MacPorts-built binaries.

--
Kevin Ballard
http://kevin.sb.org
eridius at macports.org