Building octave

cssdev at mac.com cssdev at mac.com
Thu Jan 4 07:58:40 PST 2007

On Jan 4, 2007, at 8:28 AM, Jörg Frauendiener wrote:

>> No problem; I am glad my advice helped. Now that you have Octave
>> installed, are you able to plot with it, i.e.
>> t=linspace(0,2*pi),y=sin(t),plot(t,y)
>> ? This does not work for me, so I am wondering if everyone has the
>> same problem. Thank you for your reply. Good luck.
>>
>> I'm afraid that I have the same problem as well - octave crashes
>> when trying to plot. I've tested gnuplot independently with some
>> simple examples and it works fine...
>>
> as I wrote earlier I am having a related problem. Running octave
> within Terminal.app I don't get it to open a plot window. However,
> it does not crash. Running it within an xterm works.

I haven't had octave installed for quite some time, but I still have
a GNUTERM environment variable that I used in order to get it
working. Mine was set to "aqua" in order to use AquaTerm, but if
you're using X11 you might need to set both the GNUTERM and DISPLAY
environment variables before trying to display a plot.

Chris