how to start with macports ?

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Mon Jan 15 10:34:28 PST 2007

"Dan Stowell" <danstowell at gmail.com> on Monday, January 15, 2007 at 5:11
AM -0800 wrote:
>> Try here:
>>
>> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts
>
>Step 4 is slightly wrong - there are no ".dmg" downloads.
>DarwinPorts-1.3.2.tar.bz2 or DarwinPorts-1.3.2.tar.gz is the file to
>download.

The latest dmg's are for 1.3.1:
http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/downloads/DarwinPorts-1.3.1/

In step 5 it says:

Note: The selfupdate command also updates the MacPorts program to the
latest point release since the binary installer was created.

I kniow it is onfusing that the latest has no dmg but this will be
corrected I'm sure in the next release. The instructions could probably be
improved bu tthe real fix is to release a new dmg and maybe even to chane
the download area directory tree if dmg's are likely to lag tarballs at
some point again in the future so people can see the dmg in the same
directory as the latest tarball.

Mark