gtk2/cups mess

Dave Hill dave at hillcroft.org.uk
Thu Jan 18 07:32:48 PST 2007

Hi

How do I install gtk2 on OSX 10.3.9?

If I "port install" gtk2 it fails to build because it can't find the
cups include files.

So, I install cups-headers and all it does is to install a README that
says:-

> The cups-headers port is a placeholder port that is only really
> meaningful on Mac OS X 10.3.x (Jaguar).
>
> If you have ports on other versions of Mac OS X that break on bad
> cups headers or library files, then this port should be uninstalled.
>
> This port should only install this readme file on versions of
> Mac OS X other than Jaguar.

But I am on Jaguar!

I then notice that there is a variant "darwin_7", so I install that
instead, this gives me the cups headers in /opt/local/include/cups.

Then when I try to install gtk2 it stops saying:

> The cups-headers port may prevent building this port.  Please uninstall
> (or deactivate) cups-headers and restart the build.

huh? Surely cups-headers will allow me to build this (or maybe it will
fail later in the build)??

So I google around a bit and find that installing gtk28 is probably what
I want to do (since that doesn't need the cups stuff). So I install that
and it works. Great.

Next I try to install libbonoboui but that depends on gtk2, so it tries
to install the version that won't build because "gtk28" doesn't satisfy
the "gtk2" dependency.

Grrrr....

How do I do this then? Do I have to now work out the deps by hand
because port can't do it?

Dave

--
Dave Hill - dave at hillcroft dot org dot uk