Tomcat - which version?

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Tue Jan 23 21:01:17 PST 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 5:10 PM, David McCallie wrote:

> Newbie question.  What is the difference between the two Apache
> Tomcat versions?  Tomcat-native and Tomcat5?  I want to create some
> Java servlets.  Mac OS-X Tiger 10.4.8

Tomcat5 is the tomcat 5 servlet container.

Tomcat-native is an extension to tomcat that provides a native (bare-
metal c) IO stack that sits on top of apache apr, and is primarily
used to speed IO operations when tomcat is front-ended by apache
httpd through the ajp protocol using mod_proxy_ajp or mod_jk. Note
that tomcat-native is purely an enhancement; all of the foregoing can
be done (and is usually done) using non-native java code. The
"native" code can speed things up a bit.

> Second question:  I tried to "port install Tomcat5" and it failed
> due to inability to find Ant-1.6.5.  Apparently all the mirrors now
> carry only Ant-1.7?  Is there a way to tell it to use the newer
> Ant, or should the portfile be updated?  Or is there an old 1.6.5
> somewhere?

As mentioned otherwise, you need to update your ports.

James.