Tomcat - which version?

Tim Dean tim.dean at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 23 20:44:33 PST 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 7:10 PM, David McCallie wrote:

> Newbie question.  What is the difference between the two Apache
> Tomcat versions?  Tomcat-native and Tomcat5?  I want to create some
> Java servlets.  Mac OS-X Tiger 10.4.8

Tomcat5 is the standard Tomcat J2EE container, implemented in Java.
 From what I can tell, Tomcat-native is an alternate Tomcat
implementation that is native to specific platforms and, as a result,
is supposed to be more scalable and perform better.

For what it's worth, you should know that you don't need any macports
to get Tomcat working. Just download the normal Tomcat and unzip the
archive to where you want it to be. Set a JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME
environment variables to the appropriate variables, and everything
works fine.

If you need the speed and scalability of a native solution, then the
macports version would be necessary. If you just want to run a few
servlets though, you probably don't need anything other than the
normal Tomcat download.

- Tim