gconf for firefox-x11 build problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jul 9 08:51:11 PDT 2007

On Jul 9, 2007, at 09:59, Joshua MacFie wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2007, at 9:05 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jul 9, 2007, at 05:16, Joshua MacFie wrote:
>>
>>> /usr/bin/ld: can't map file: /opt/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib
>>> ((os/kern) invalid argument)
>>
>> Does that file exist, are its permissions ok and is it of the
>> correct architecture for your computer? Try:
>>
>> file /opt/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib
>>
>> and see what it says. Try also:
>>
>> otool -L /opt/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> The first says
>
> /opt/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib: unreadable symlink `/opt/local/
> lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib' (No such file or directory)
>
> The second
>
> otool: can't map file: /opt/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib ((os/
> kern) invalid argument)
>
> Sorry I'm sorta new to the Unix environment. Is the sym link break
> what's causing this? If so how do I fix it?

So it looks like /opt/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib exists but is
merely a symlink pointing to something that doesn't exist. That would
certainly explain why ld couldn't access it, and why your compile
didn't complete.

One good piece of information would be to know where the symlink is
pointing:

ls -l /opt/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib

Another would be which port provided that broken symlink:

port provides /opt/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib

Whatever port it identifies, try reinstalling it (sudo port -ncuf
upgrade theportname) -- after selfupdating to make sure you have the
latest MacPorts and ports tree (sudo port selfupdate). If, after
reinstalling the latest version of that port, you still have a broken
symlink, you may need to contact the port's maintainer (port info
theportname).

Don't forget to Reply To All so your message goes to the mailing list
too, and not just me.