MacPorts 1.5.0 and binary packaging / New improved Guide

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Tue Jul 10 14:32:12 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I would counter that being Apple- and Mac-centric is a good thing. The
> project name was deliberately changed from DarwinPorts to MacPorts to
> emphasize the fact that it's designed for Mac users. MacPorts has so
> far not been so easy for the typical non-UNIX-geek Mac user to
> understand, so I would consider being Mac-specific in the
> documentation to be a good thing. I'm not sure if anything
> non-Mac-centric needs to be said in the documentation, other than at
> most a sentence in the introduction stating that the project is
> designed for Macs, that it may work on other OSes, but that this is
> not guaranteed.

There is a difference between not actively supporting use on other
platforms, and actively discouraging using the product on other
platforms (whether by code or by words)...

Don't get me wrong here, I don't think there is anything wrong
whatsoever with using Apple and Mac terms to describe how you install
MacPorts on Apple Mac OS X. But everywhere? Nah.

> I haven't actually looked at the guide yet, but wanted to make the
> above comments anyway.

Please do then, we're talking about something minor like changing
"Installing MacPorts" to "Installing MacPorts on Mac OS X" and avoiding
limiting the entire system to just the Apple Macs.

Don't see how "Mac OS X and other platforms" or "Apple or other
vendors" would hurt anything. Unless the project clearly defines that
it will remove all old code for Darwin and for FreeBSD.

--anders