MacPorts 1.5.0 and binary packaging / New improved Guide

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 10 14:08:08 PDT 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 07:41, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> markd wrote:
>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/duling/macports/guide.html
>>
>> Comments still welcome on the Guide so far.  It needs some color
>> css work
>> and other css formatting, but I'm focusing on content and
>> readability.
>
> There are some common typos in it like "OS X" (Mac OS X) and
> "Xwindows"
> (X Window System) and it should probably be less Apple/Mac OS X
> centric
> (i.e. should mention explicitly that 2.1-2.5 applies to Mac OS X,
> and say
> something instead of "Apple-supplied" - like vendor-supplied, etc
> etc...)

[snip]

I would counter that being Apple- and Mac-centric is a good thing.
The project name was deliberately changed from DarwinPorts to
MacPorts to emphasize the fact that it's designed for Mac users.
MacPorts has so far not been so easy for the typical non-UNIX-geek
Mac user to understand, so I would consider being Mac-specific in the
documentation to be a good thing. I'm not sure if anything non-Mac-
centric needs to be said in the documentation, other than at most a
sentence in the introduction stating that the project is designed for
Macs, that it may work on other OSes, but that this is not guaranteed.

I haven't actually looked at the guide yet, but wanted to make the
above comments anyway.