can not compile gnome

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 15 23:06:31 PDT 2007

On Jul 15, 2007, at 20:37, olivier SAINT-EVE wrote:

> here a brief summary of the thing: I try to install gnome, but I
> can't install one of its dependencies, popt.
> With or without macports, it aborts:
>
> --->  Configuring popt
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _popt/work/popt-1.11" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --mandir=/
> opt/local/share/man --with-libintl-prefix=/opt/local --with-
> libiconv-prefix=/opt/local " returned error 1
> Command output: configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub
>
> but when I try to uninstall popt, I've got:
>
> mach4:~ oliviersaint-eve$ port uninstall popt
> Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: popt not registered
> as installed.
> mach4:~ oliviersaint-eve$ port uninstall -f popt
> Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: popt not registered
> as installed.
>
> it's amazing : macports does not tell me that popt is not installed
> (it does not appear after "port installed").
>
> do you know a way to erase popt, in the purpose of reinstalling it?

Well, as the message says, popt is not registered as installed.
Therefore there is nothing to uninstall.

The best you can do is clean the work directory. "sudo port clean --
work popt".

I thought you said before that it worked outside of MacPorts. But if
it doesn't work outside of MacPorts either, then I think we can rule
out MacPorts as the source of the problem. I'd look rather to some
other component of your OS as a problem. Try reinstalling Xcode 2.4.1
for example.